This exciting program focuses on psychological aspects in the development of gifted and talented children and adolescents. The program examines talent development of individuals in a range of talent domains, theories of optimal human development and the interplay of the individual’s abilities and creativity.
Specific issues of focus are the social and emotional development of the gifted, counselling gifted and talented students, underachieving gifted students, as well as gender and giftedness.
Aims of the program
To gain knowledge and understanding of the psychological (social and emotional) needs of gifted and talented individuals, as social-emotional development is integral to understanding the emergence of giftedness.
To gain knowledge and understanding of talent development and creativity.
Who should attend?
This program is designed for secondary and primary teachers, and school leaders with an interest in gifted education. Teachers,psychologists or school leaders who already work in selective high schools, or in programs with giftedhigh ability students, will find the program particularly relevant.
Participants will develop an understanding of:
• The social and emotional needs of gifted students as well as strategies to support their individual developmental needs.
• Awareness of the nature of creativity and strategies for developing creativity.
• The development of specific talent domains in individuals.
• The basic issues related to counselling the underachieving gifted student.
• Theories of intelligence and personality underpinning creativity and student performance.
• Gender and giftedness.
Sat 17 Aug. 2019: 10 am – 5 pm
Sun 18 Aug. 2019: 10 am – 4 pm
Sat 31 Aug. 2019: 10 am – 5 pm
Sat 14 Sept. 2019: 10 am – 4 pm
Monash University, Faculty of Education, Clayton campus.
To register for the program, please complete your application form online
Teacher scholarships for DET teachers are available to cover the program fee, which is $2,083.33 (GST inclusive).
This fee includes program materials, assessment, and morning and afternoon tea.